Sweet potatoes for breakfast. I know. Sometimes my top-of-the-morning cravings live outside the cereal box.
Basil Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 – sweet potato, large
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- Few sprigs of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 9% Greek yogurt (none of that low-fat stuff!)
- Ground chipotle chilies
(I get mine here)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place sweet potato on the pan and into the oven for as long as it takes to get nice and soft all the way through. You can test this by periodically jabbing the sweet potato with a knife through the centre.
You may notice pools of caramelized sweet potato oozing out after being in the oven for a while. This is perfectly fine, in fact, the burnt sugar gives the potatoes that nice roasty flavour. Fear not. This should take about 50 minutes – 1 hour. If that seems too long, do like I did and watch a couple episodes of Gossip Girl on Netflix.
- Once the sweet potato is nice and soft all the way through, remove from the oven and let it cool for a bit. This will make the skin easier to remove and save you from sugar burns on your fingertips.
- In a small sauce pan, add butter, stock and fresh basil leaves. Heat on medium until butter melt and basil is fragrant.
- After peeling the skin, place cooked sweet potato into a bowl and mash away with a fork. Unlike white potatoes, you may find a lot of stringy fibres, making for a less uniform mash. It’s part of the journey, just let it happen.
- Add the contents of the sauce pan to the sweet potato and mash again. (I left the whole sprig of basil in there). Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Dollop a heaping tablespoon of yogurt onto each serving of mashed potato. Dust with chipotle powder and pat yourself on the back. Breakfast has never been so comforting.