My latest obsession with toast started during the recent Christmas holiday. No work and no school meant breakfast for everything — lunch, dinner, and for no reason at all. The ever-classic butter on toast (unsalted) ended up being my go-to Netflix snack, seconded by avocados on toast with freshly cracked salt and pepper. Needless to say — but I will — toast is the perfect lazy food. The blank slate of a piece of whole grain bread inspired this morning’s breakfast.
Fully Loaded Banana Toast
- your favourite 100% whole grain bread
- natural peanut butter (tastes WAY better than the regular kind)
- ripe bananas (more spots, the better!)
- ground cinnamon
- sprouted chia and flax seed powder (you can find this at your local health food store)
- coconut sugar (again, health food store)
- Spread peanut butter on toasted bread.
- Peel and slice bananas. Layer onto peanut butter.
- Drizzle honey over bananas.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar, chia/ flax powder, and a small amount of cinnamon (we are not going for a cinnamon challenge here, so use it sparingly) over honey. I like to do it in this order so that the granules stick to the honey and not to my clothing.
The virtually flavourless chia/ flax powder is purported to be a great source of healthy fats, fibre, calcium…etc. I add it to everything I eat.
I discovered coconut sugar while swiping through Instagram one day. My friend bought some at a local farmers’ market and started sprinkling it on everything. I’ll try any coconut product once and so far I am loving this sugar. It tastes like a light brown sugar with faint hints of toasted coconut.